Japanese spider crab, 19th century
The Natural History Collection

The museum was founded as a natural cabinet by Prince Friedrich Carl of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (1737-1790-1793) in 1757. Since 1919 the constantly expanding collection has been located at Heidecksburg palace. Not only in Thuringia, but also in Germany there is no other museum of natural history that is older than the one in Rudolstadt and that has arisen exclusively from a natural collection and has still been existing at the place of its foundation. It is a regional reference centre (archive) for the exploration of the diversity of species and conveyance of knowledge about it. Its collection provides evidence of at least 200 000 fungi, plants, animals, fossils, minerals and stones. A comprehensive special library particularly characterised by its historical inventory, belongs to the collection. A biologist and a scientific assistant for the zoological preparation maintain the biological and geological collection. Numerous articles in books and periodicals inform in detail about the history and the inventory of the collections.


Contact us

Director
Dr. Lutz Unbehaun

Director’s Office, Office Coordinator
Gabriele Rasche

Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—0

Deputy Director
Sabrina LĂĽderitz
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—18

Director, Friedrich-Froebel-Museum
Isabel Schamberger
Phone:
+ 49 36741 -
47 310

Curator, Museum of Natural History
Dr. Sandy Reinhard
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—30

Taxidermist
Anett Rode-Weingarten
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—29

Scientific Assistant
Jeanette Lauterbach
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—13

Museum Education
Kathrin Stern
Phone:
+ 49 36741 - 25 65

Museum Administration
Birgit Meyer
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—17

Collection Technician
Lars KrauĂźe
Phone:
+ 49 3672 - 42 90—20

© 2009-2018   Thuringian State Museum Heidecksburg Schlossbezirk 1 07407 Rudolstadt