Jagdschloss Paulinzella
Monastery Paulinzella

Monastery ruin and museum

The abbey church Paulinzella

The ruin of the abbey church at Paulinzella belongs to the important Romanesque buildings in Germany. Between 1102 and 1105 the Saxon noblewoman Paulina founded a monastery at the Rottenbach valley consisting of a few wooden buildings and a small chapel in the beginning. At that time the construction of the abbey church started which was finally inaugurated in 1124. After the introduction of the Reformation to the county of Schwarzburg the monastery was dissolved eight years later, in 1534, the property of the monastery passed into the ownership of Count Guenther XL of Schwarzburg (1499—1552) and since then Paulinzella was under the authority of him. In the middle of the 17th century, in south eastern direction of the abbey church, a hunting lodge was built used by the counts and later princes of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt used. Because of the romantic “turn to the past” the abbey ruin gained a special importance around 1800. The enlightened bourgeoisie considered it a duty to preserve the monument for the posterity, a concern which was shared by the princely house of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. During the 19th and 20th century several preserving works saved the ruin of the monastery.

The museum

After the renovation of the nearby hunting lodge by the Foundation Thuringian Castles and Gardens the Thuringian, the State Museum Heidecksburg established a comprehenisve exhibition about the history of the monastery, forestry and hunting on the main floor of the building. It covers an area of 350m² and was opened in 2004. Numerous objects of the exhibition bear witness to the varied historico-cultural development of the monastery. The exhibits also demonstrate the importance of Paulinzella for the forestry and hunting. The following objects are to be pointed out:

  • cork models of the monastery complex from the time around 1810
  • tiles from the roof of the 12th century
  • tombstone slab of an abbot, 12th century
  • relic treasure Oberwirbach
  • missal from 1493
  • Woldradus stone from around 1200
  • Romanesque altar candleholder from around 1200
  • elaborately decorated stove tiles, around 1500
  • coins (bracteates) from the time of the monastery


  • models: charcoal burning, ceased hunting, rafting oar and zoological gardens around Paulinzella
  • valuable hunting weapons from the 17th and 18th century
  • wolf and bear traps
  • forestry maps of the 18th century
  • scripts by Carl Christoph of Lengefeld



More about the Hunting Lodge
© 2009-2021   Thuringian State Museum Heidecksburg Schlossbezirk 1 07407 Rudolstadt