The collection of glassware includes 330 objects from the 17th to the 19th century mainly going back to the princely collector’s passion. Apart from the porcelain collection it bears testimony of an important economic basis of the former princely house. 35 artistically crafted glasses with the so called »Rudolstadt Rosette«, a rosette that goes back to the glass cutter Georg Friedrich Knye from Rudolstadt, originate from the time between 1740 and 1760.
In 2018, an initially three-year project »The glass holdings of the Schwarzburg residences from the 16th to 18th centuries« was initiated. The focus is on researching historical glass objects that were produced, traded, purchased and used between 1600 and 1800 in the territory of the counts or princes of Schwarzburg in Thuringia. Glass conducts a productive trialogue between the humanities, the museum and the natural sciences. The research project is based on cooperation between the Justus Liebig University Giessen and the TU Bergakademie Freiberg. Equal cooperation partner is the Arnstadt Palace Museum in Thuringia. Your can find further Information on the project here.