The count’s and later prince’s desire to represent provided the basis for the considerable range of collections at Heidecksburg palace. Gathered since the 17th century the collections offered the frame of ceremonial ostentation forming the centre of courtly life. The collection of prints and drawings from the first half of the 18th century can be taken as an example.
In 1794 F. Kaemmerer described the painting collection of Heidecksburg palace in an article published at Wieland’s »Teutscher Merkur« for the first time.
The show rooms
Today the painting collection focuses on works of the 18th and 19th century which are displayed on the upper floor of the south wing. These rooms had been used by Prince Georg until 1890. The elaborately restored »Blue Salon« in neo-classical style reminds of the time of around 1870. Famous artists are represented, among them:
- Justus Junker,
- Johann Alexander Thiele,
- Johann Christoph Morgenstern,
- Ferdinand Kobell,
- Carl Hummel and
- Caspar David Friedrich.
The end of the tour is marked by a cabinet that shows paintings, sculptures and graphics which are part of the collection »contemporary art after 1945«.
The altar of Allendorf, the oldest carved altar of Thuringia from the time after 1390, has been displayed at the painting gallery since 2008.